Theater
 Gift Subscriptions

Forums
Visit our NEW! Discussion Forums
(Registration Required)

SUBSCRIBE

FREE Newsletter
'

Want to save money on your broadband? Quick, grab a lifeline from PlusNet. Super-fast up to 20Mb broadband only £9.99 per month. Moving is free - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.
SEARCH
The GMN Shop
Content Archive
The MediaPlayer
Free Music
Grove Dictionary
All Searches

MEMBERS
 Sign In
 New User Sign Up
 Select a Player

Click on a message title to reply to that subject. Back to the subjects page.

Friendly rivalry - does it exist? newsletter ed
Thu Jul 6 2000 13:33
Can rival musicians really be friends? Can rivals inspire one another to greater heights of artistic achievement? And how about the three tenors - which is the true King of Tenors?...

RE: Friendly rivalry - does it exist? Tony Clifton
Fri Jul 7 2000 02:45
You must be a sports fan Ed.

Why must everything be so aggresive?

It's about creativity, no?

RE: Friendly rivalry - does it exist? newsletter ed
Fri Jul 7 2000 12:34
Yes, it's about creativity. But there's no getting away from the competition factor. Just look at the way Divas sharpen their claws on each other's reputations... To be serious, though, I suppose my point was that if you can set aside the aggression, you can get something really special going on where 'rivals' can bounce their talents off one another in a very positive way to ever greater artistic heights. I would argue that many duets, for example, gain their strength from being competitive as well as complementary.

RE: Friendly rivalry - does it exist? Steven D. Brown
Thu Jul 13 2000 02:20
Let's begin with the Three Tenors. They have all sung some of the same roles and they do them each in their own way. Despite the fact that the 3 Tenors phenomenon is not to my taste, I would say that part of your question is already answered in the very fact that they are collaborating.

But to get more to the heart of the issue, any singer who has a career in opera must know that collaboration is the bottom line as far as achieving a great performance.

As in any kind of music, it is all about ensemble.

gmnyour arts network
 GMN.com 
 GMN ClassicalPlus   GMN JazzPlus 
Become an Affiliate Contact Us Advertising News Links
Home Register Terms of Use Privacy Policy Information Center Help

Copyright © 1999 - 2001 Global Music Network Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Music downloads, audio and video provided for personal, non-commercial use only and may not be re-distributed.

Mon, Sep 23, 2019 7:25:02 AM US EST
8.203125E-02 Seconds
v4.0b - www.gmn.com - True
Easynet