Theater
 Gift Subscriptions

Forums
Visit our NEW! Discussion Forums
(Registration Required)

SUBSCRIBE

FREE Newsletter
'

Want to save money on your broadband? Quick, grab a lifeline from PlusNet. Super-fast up to 20Mb broadband only £9.99 per month. Moving is free - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.
SEARCH
The GMN Shop
Content Archive
The MediaPlayer
Free Music
Grove Dictionary
All Searches

MEMBERS
 Sign In
 New User Sign Up
 Select a Player

Click on a message title to reply to that subject. Back to the subjects page.

Leonard Bernstein Shelby Katzman
Sat May 20 2000 01:16
I'm doing a paper on Leonard Bernstein and his contributions to Classical Music. The focus is on his Young People's Concerts. Anyone watch them? Recollections appreciated.

RE: Leonard Bernstein Steven D. Brown
Sat May 20 2000 14:41
I saw nearly every broadcast of the Young People's Concerts and there is no question that they were instrumental in the development of my interest in classical music. Of course, those were the days when CBS and NBC devoted air time to cultural programming. Today even PBS falls short on that score.

Video tapes of the Young People's Concerts are avaiable. You should be able to order them from the Leonard Bernstein home page that his children maintain.

Leonard Bernstein Anecdote mwalmsley
Thu Jun 22 2000 09:48
Hi,

As a percussion student at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London in the early 80s, I took part in a college production of Bernstein's 'Mass'. A wonderful mix of rock, jazz, big band, strings and percussion, and of course acting and singing.

The piece was performed in our stripped out theatre, 'in the round' around a street crossroads set which quartered both the musicians and the audience seating. In one corner was the string section, in another the wind and brass, in another the rock band and timps and perc had a whole section (and needed it). The action was played out on the narrow strips of roadway separating these sections. Imagine a cross shaped fashion catwalk with musicans as guests and you'll get the picture.

The West Side Story feel ran throughout the piece.

Bernstein showed up unexpectedly during reheasal and conducted a session. The difference in the approach and resulting performances of all concerned was stunning. The public performances were great, but none of them got near the electricity generated with the composer on the rostrum.

I once heard a critic suggest that Bernstein was the only conductor one could identify unseen. I would have to agree.

Mark

RE: Leonard Bernstein Steven D. Brown
Thu Jun 22 2000 17:55
I heard Bernstein in concert only once. It was in 1974 at a day-long memorial to Serge Koussevitzky at Tanglewood. Bernstein led The World Youth Symphony Orchestra in a performance of the Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. Later that evening The Boston Symphony performed and the music went on well past midnight. But, the most vivid memory of the day was Bernstein doing Berlioz. He got those kids to push the envelope!

RE: Leonard Bernstein Joe Franklin
Wed Jun 28 2000 20:46
They broke the mold when they made Lenny.

gmnyour arts network
 GMN.com 
 GMN ClassicalPlus   GMN JazzPlus 
Become an Affiliate Contact Us Advertising News Links
Home Register Terms of Use Privacy Policy Information Center Help

Copyright © 1999 - 2001 Global Music Network Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Music downloads, audio and video provided for personal, non-commercial use only and may not be re-distributed.

Thu, Sep 19, 2019 12:45:56 AM US EST
0.0390625 Seconds
v4.0b - www.gmn.com - True
Easynet