Theater
 Gift Subscriptions

Forums
Visit our NEW! Discussion Forums
(Registration Required)

SUBSCRIBE

FREE Newsletter
'

Want to save money on your broadband? Quick, grab a lifeline from PlusNet. Super-fast up to 20Mb broadband only £9.99 per month. Moving is free - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.
SEARCH
The GMN Shop
Content Archive
The MediaPlayer
Free Music
Grove Dictionary
All Searches

MEMBERS
 Sign In
 New User Sign Up
 Select a Player

Click on a message title to reply to that subject. Back to the subjects page.

Samuel Barber jcdraft
Wed Mar 13 2002 02:20
OK- so you can throw the dishwater out but sometimes I just keep coming back. You were so helpful on my last search that I thought I'd bring up another one.
My understanding of Barber's Adagio for Strings is that it started out as a string quartet, and somewhere before or after full orchestration was a choral work (Angus Dei I belive). Recordings of the orchestration are a dime a dozen but I can't find the quartet or choral (and I've heard them both, maybe I'll just call our local Public Radio Staion- KCME, they're good)

In the meantime, if someone can direct me I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

re: Samuel Barber disclover
Wed Mar 13 2002 13:45
I have recordings of both pieces. The original work, the String Quartet, Op. 11, was recorded by the Beaux-Arts String Quartet (not the famous Beaux Arts Trio!) on Epic LC 3907/BC 1307, issued in 1965. More recent recordings by the Emerson String Quartet and the Endellion String Quartet are currently available. The Agnus Dei was recorded by the Dale Warland Singers in August 1994 on Ameican Choral ACC 120, a record that featured Frank Martin's Mass.

re: Samuel Barber disclover
Wed Mar 13 2002 15:37
Sorry for the incomplete answer. There are many available recordings of the Agnus Dei, including Robert Shaw, Martin Best, Richard Marlow, David Hill, John Rutter, Harry Christophers, Edward Higginbottom and others. The Quartet is also available with the Lindsays, Emerson, Tokyo and several other quartets.

re: Samuel Barber serenade13
Thu Mar 14 2002 15:47
Ah....one of my favorite topics. I am constantly urging people to get the complete, original version for String Quartet. I have it by the Duke String Quartet.

Regarding other versions of the Adagio.... there is a CD titled "Barber's Adagio" that has 8 different versions, including the Agnus Dei, plus arrangements for wind instruments in addition to the well known version for string orchestra.

re: Samuel Barber Judge Jules
Fri Mar 15 2002 13:41
I have the version by the Emerson (on DG) and the Adagio alone by the Manhattan (on Newport Classics) Quartets. On the subject of Barber chamber music, do you know the Cello Sonata, which is also lovely?

gmnyour arts network
 GMN.com 
 GMN ClassicalPlus   GMN JazzPlus 
Become an Affiliate Contact Us Advertising News Links
Home Register Terms of Use Privacy Policy Information Center Help

Copyright © 1999 - 2001 Global Music Network Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Music downloads, audio and video provided for personal, non-commercial use only and may not be re-distributed.

Sat, Feb 22, 2020 10:25:52 PM US EST
2.050781E-02 Seconds
v4.0b - www.gmn.com - True
Easynet