Theater
 Gift Subscriptions

Forums
Visit our NEW! Discussion Forums
(Registration Required)

SUBSCRIBE

FREE Newsletter
'

Want to save money on your broadband? Quick, grab a lifeline from PlusNet. Super-fast up to 20Mb broadband only £9.99 per month. Moving is free - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.
SEARCH
The GMN Shop
Content Archive
The MediaPlayer
Free Music
Grove Dictionary
All Searches

MEMBERS
 Sign In
 New User Sign Up
 Select a Player

Click on a message title to reply to that subject. Back to the subjects page.

Rusalka giraffesque
Fri Mar 15 2002 21:03
Any suggestions for an excellent performance of Rusalka? Orchestra, performer? Thanks

re: Rusalka Judge Jules
Sat Mar 16 2002 10:30
The last edition of the Penguin Guide - which I find 95% reliable - recommends Mackerras on Decca 460 568-2, second choice Neumann on Supraphon 10 3641-2, both with the Czech Philharmonic.

re: Rusalka giraffesque
Sat Mar 16 2002 14:21
Thanks a lot for the advice! I'll definitely give it a try!

re: Rusalka J Hill
Wed Mar 20 2002 02:34
since the answer seems to have satisfied, it's fair to assume that the Dvorak opera was what the person had in mind. It's worth keeping in mind, though, that Dargomyzhsky also has a Rusalka based on Pushkin's play...

re: Rusalka Judge Jules
Thu Mar 21 2002 21:02
Thanks for that - I certainly hadn't been aware of it. Presumably it's also an opera. Do you know if there are any recordings?

re: Rusalka J Hill
Fri Mar 22 2002 02:00
That’s a very good question. I think the only stuff currently available on CD are arias and scenes, especially the great bass part of the miller in performances by Shaliapin and Reizen, for instance.

Here’s what a cursory search for complete recordings, all vinyl, revealed:

10" D 7383/4 Dargomyzhsky: The Mermaid--exc. KRIVCHENYA, SMOLENSKAYA, MIGLAU, KOZLOVSKY; SVETLANOV, Bolshoi Opera. A.

D 04424/9 (3) Dargomyzhsky: Russalka. SMOLENSKAYA, BORISENKO, KOZLOVSKY, KRIVCHENYA; SVETLANOV, Bolshoi Opera. M. Summary.

A244:2242. Dargomyzhsky Rusalka. Mikhailova: Pluzhnikov: Vedernikov: Terentieva: Pisarenko: Klenov: Fedoseyev: MELODIYA C1021467

Do I remember an older recording by Melik-Pashaev or Golovanov? Can’t say, but it seems likely. Would be close to impossible to find, though.

gmnyour arts network
 GMN.com 
 GMN ClassicalPlus   GMN JazzPlus 
Become an Affiliate Contact Us Advertising News Links
Home Register Terms of Use Privacy Policy Information Center Help

Copyright © 1999 - 2001 Global Music Network Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Music downloads, audio and video provided for personal, non-commercial use only and may not be re-distributed.

Tue, Aug 20, 2019 1:55:24 AM US EST
0.109375 Seconds
v4.0b - www.gmn.com - True
Easynet